Pages

Wednesday, May 27, 2009

What's bigger than an elephant, has horns, and is causing a decrease in tourism in the Middle East?

Road tripping with the Europeans
to East Jordan
Sometimes I get to thinking that I am just not that interesting, and then I spend 4 hours in a car with some Europeans who have travelled the world, speak multiple languages, have really cool jobs, and it turns out they are real boring Boracks. 

In any case - alternatively, I have met some real kindred spirits here in the Middle East...a felucca captain who likes to be called Captain Rambo, a train conductor who prefers to be called Zorro, numerous Mohammeds, Machmouds, Ibrahims, and Nassers, and a bedouin who spied for the US in Iraq (not a very good spy, if you ask me, but he does make a mean cup of tea). Plus, watching Dena work her wiles has been a true learning experience. Somehow she will not only refuse to pay someone baksheesh, but she will actually win them over while doing it - occasionally inspiring a marriage proposal from across the Nile ("DENA, I LOVE you!!!!"). Amazing. Let's get her in there with the much beloved, Celine Dion, and get some real peace work done, people. 


In no way did I have nearly enough time do see everything one should see, so don't ask about the following as it will only spark within me a pang of regret and longing....Abu Simbel, Wadi Rum, Alexandria. I will just have to come back if anyone is up for it. Fitz kids? Anyone? 

I did get quite a rush from some of the things I did see, though...Petra!!!!!!!!!!!!, Karnak temple, some castles ideal for playing man-hunt, Dead Sea (which is way smaller than I thought - Israel, a mere stone's throw away, could catch the glare off my bare belly) , tomb heiroglyphics still in color after 4000 years, Tut's treasures, Nubian villages on the Nile, Cairo markets, etc. Love, love love.

I am going to pack up my bootleg seasons of The Wire, have 2 or 3 more desserts here in Amman, and call it a day. 

Oh yeah - what's bigger than an elephant, has horns, and is causing a decrease in tourism in the Middle East? A pig. As in swine flue. Yeah, Dena and I are still trying to figure that one out, but we are guessing maybe the guy who was trying to describe this to us has never seen an actual pig.

The Dead Sea with my pal, Ega, an Indonesian
 architect living in Sweden.
 







 


 




No comments:

Post a Comment