Pages

Sunday, May 17, 2009

Ma’Salaama World Economic Forum. And Petra.

Dena and I went on a 4-hour tour of Jordan on Friday as we were turned away at all of the Jordanian police checkpoints. Turns out the Kings Highway was closed the entire way for the World Economic Forum. Ironically, it shut down business for all of the tour operators to the Dead Sea and Wadi Mujib. Way to go, King Abdullah.

In lieu of soaking in the Dead Sea, Dena and I cracked open a bottle of Jordanian wine in Karak and hit the castle along with a rigorous hike at the Dana Wildlife Reserve. I also spent a good amount of time dwelling on how asking, "How are you?" in Arabic sounds oddly similar to the mother of all naughty words in English. Perhaps that could be one small reason why we can't see eye to eye sometimes? Hmm.  
 


 
 

I arrived in Petra today with a driver, Ahmed, and a lovely Spanish family from Barcelona, so I was able to work on my Catalan (they were a little nicer than those guys on the Mediteranean, Gina). Went right to it and hiked through Petra using my "La shukren" to any bedouin, boy, or beast who stood in the way of me and my Indiana Jones dream. Brace yourself for 50+ pics of me with the Treasury. I am happy to say I completed the abridged version, but I am excited for a full day with connecting with my Nabatean brethren, capping it off with a lovely tour of Petra by night. 
 
Was invited for tea by a neighbor bedouin after my trek, took off my floppy hat, and then took a dip in the pool; I made it quick so as to avoid the offense to more than one world culture with my bare, alabaster skin. Cleaned up for a lesson in making musakhan at the Petra Kitchen. I, along with 6 or so 50-something-year-old stockbroker/winees cooked dinner with locals and then indulged in a 3-course meal. Reuben from India informed me he was one of those present at the World Economic Forum, and when he was speaking with the queen, she opened with "Well, we Jordanians are stuck between Iraq and a hard place". Oh Rania - what a maroon.

Capped the night off with a beer at Cave bar and was dragged into some sort of dance involving a lot of highstepping - right up Mom's alley.

So - anyway, I am alive (Colleen). I am gonna go pop some tums and call it a day. Dena and I leave for Egypt on Tuesday night, so I may not be able to write, but odds are if I am not communicating it is because I am c) desperately wanting to talk to you, but trapped under something heavy.

Ma'salaama. 

Amman
 
 
Petra
Me with donkey

  
  
 

No comments:

Post a Comment