Pages

Wednesday, November 16, 2005

Best 10 Kilometers Ever!

16 Nov 2005
Hello from Sunny China!

Wearing just about all the clothes I brought since they just decided to turn on the heat in Beijing yesterday. Seems to be warming up today though in the hostel.

Hiked the Great Wall today from Jinshanling to Simatai, and it was just unbelievable. I took about a gazillion pictures. It is really a very big wall! No lie. And long and very difficult at points to climb. I thoroughly enjoyed it and still can't believe I was there. My toes, however, did not like it one bit.

Met some friendly people that I will accompany touring around Beijing or meet up with in Xian when I go this weekend.

Tomorrow, I will pay a visit to old Chairman Mao on ice, see the Forbidden City and probably get ripped off purchasing some Beijing memorabilia.

I almost can't wait to get back to spend a month in Texas. Almost.

Zaijian!

 
 
 
Getting strapped in for the zip line.

18 Nov 2005
Fresh loogies
So the yellow cloud came in over Beijing yesterday. I think I have cut a couple years off my life just breathing here. Explains the spitting. I don't even want to tell you what happens when you blow your nose.

Yesterday, I woke up early to join the Chinese ranks and see Mao. I got there before it opened, and the line was already wrapped around the square. Moved pretty fast though, as those military men are no joke in getting a line moving. More than one rambunctious Chinese man was forced into order. And what nice coats! Mao looks a little peekish, but overall is holding up well. Must have been all the exercise from cracking down on troublemakers like monks and stuff.

 

Then I took a bus to the Summer Palace with a friend I met, Monica. Both the bus and the palace were fantastic experiences. The Palace was a little less life threatening, though. It was extremely picturesque and beautiful.



After, Monica and I went to a middle eastern restaurant with belly dancers and then hit the bar scene where I fell in love with a guitar player of a Chinese rock band. His name is Eric. While he can rock out and sing Pink Floyd's "We Don't Need No Education" like a boss, responding to "What is your name?" in English was a tough one for him.
 
Sigh. If only the international language really could span such divides.


Beijing
 

Peking Duck with D's friend, Chris. The whitest guy to ever speak Mandarin.

Terra Cotta Warriors - Xi'an 
 


No comments:

Post a Comment