Pages

Saturday, December 11, 2004

At least I didn't have to get taken down the mountain on a donkey

11 Dec 2004
Hola! Estoy en Cusco, Peru! I got here alive with the help of some foreign travelers. Tomorrow, I am off on the four day hike to Machu Picchu. I have my toilet paper and waterproof pants all ready to go, as well as my extensive knowledge of girl scout songs for around the campfire.
 
The altitude is killing me so I have yet to enjoy any of the regional delicacies like guinea pig. Meeting some interesting characters and trying to brush up on my Spanish. Maybe I'll take away some of the good swear words.
 
15 Dec 2004
Woke up in the middle of the night to the sounds of massive retching and heaving. I maneuvered my way to the tent opening trying not to step on my tent mate Liz from Florida, whom I'd only met the day before. Our relationship would later solidify as I had to wake her up with my own personal bodily issues of which I dare not extrapolate upon here. Outside, two fellow trail group members, who happened to be doctors, were deliberating over the status of Jared, another group member and the source of said retching and heaving. Seems he got a bug at our group buffet dinner in town the night before.

Australian doctor prognosis: get this guy off the trail and connected to an IV. Having already hiked a full day up the Inca Trail, they had to lay Jared across a donkey to do the day's ride back to Cusco for hospitalization. A long, bumpy, donkey ride down the mountain with liquid coming out of both ends...no words.

In other news, I only fell twice on the hike! Looks like I'll be down a toenail, though.

Jared in front, pre-evacuation. Also pictured are my tent mate, Liz, and Angus from Scotland.
 

 




This picture came from Angus, but it looks pretty doctored. Enjoy!


 
 
 

No comments:

Post a Comment